What is a Recovery Code
A Recovery code (or Backup code) is a unique code that is usually provided by services or sites once Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is enabled on an account. This guide explains how to generate recovery/backup codes and why are they important.
Why are Recovery Codes important?
If a user has 2FA protecting their account and loses access to their device (e.g. SMS phone number no longer available or a lost device with an authentication app such as Authy, Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator, Last Pass, etc.), recovery codes can be used to pass 2FA. Once authenticated, the user can make transactions normally, including resetting their 2FA to utilize a new device. NOTE: Each code has a one-time use only!
Where can you generate Recovery Codes?
- To Access account security, click on the profile icon in the top right portion of the Open Loot Home page.
- On the drop-down menu, click on "Profile" and then select "Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) Setup."
- From there, the user will be able to generate Recovery Codes by clicking on "Get new codes".
- Click on "Continue". Disclaimer: If you generate a new recovery code, any previous codes you have will no longer work.
- After clicking on continue, the codes will appear on the user's screen. The user may opt to download them as a text file, or save them using any other preferred method (e.g. screenshot).
Can Open Loot provide me with replacement Recovery Codes if I lose them?
Unfortunately, no. We are unable to generate or replace these codes on the user's behalf. We recommend keeping these codes in a safe place.
You may refer to this article to know other ways to back up your 2FA : Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) Backup
Please sign in to leave a comment.